I think it’s normal to feel this way at a work placement as you don’t know the industry to start off with. So of course their going to make up jobs that need doing, but are not a priority. However as they have an extra pair of hands these jobs can be done.
I remember when I first started I used to have to stack and tidy away loads of magazines and I would think to myself I want to be writing in them, not stacking them.
One day, I will be looking back and will be saying this to someone working for me and I will be able to use the phrase, ‘I was young once too and I had to start from the bottom just like you.’
– Remember that you are at a work placement gaining experience, naturally they are not going to be giving you a full time job with your own work schedule to get done everyday.
– Stick at it those that give up straight away because they do not like being told what to do or hate the tasks they are set will not get very far (in my opinion.)
– Make dull tasks fun in your own way
– Use this to your advantage by observing those around you, look at the things that they do. Make notes so that you can start to gain a much deeper understanding of the industry around you.
– Don’t be offended if you feel like a cleaner
Also posted in www.lifeisfunbeingme.wordpress.com