More Magazine Reader Q&A Relocating For A Job

My company’s relocating from London to Leeds. I’ve been working for them for two years and I am on a contract, but I don’t want to move. What should I do? Ola, London

Michelle says: Check your contract for a ‘mobility clause’. This will say if you have to move with the company. The clause has to be reasonable – they can’t expect you to move to a new continent at the two days’ notice. If you decide not to go, you may be entitled to redundancy, if you meet the criteria. If you do choose to move, the company isn’t obliged to give you relocation expenses, unless it’s included in your contract, so that’s worth bearing in mind. I recommend checking the small print. then talking to your manager about your options. If your workplace has a union, chat to them too. If you feel you’ve been unfairly treated, you can raise a grievance by following your company’s policy. Look at for further advice, or talk to Citizens advice (

(Please Note: The information is from the More Magazine article  ‘Don’t become the office oversharer’ by Michelle Dewberry in Issue 11th February 2013, I did not write this!)

Also posted in 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s