Today I’m back to covering reception and seriously multi-tasking as I still have to finish off my project, yesterday I printed off a copy for my own reference to take home and to look over in the evening I found many mistakes and the more I looked at my project the more I had hated what I have achieved. Today I have come in looking at my project with a pair of fresh eyes and making small tweaks that will improve my pitch. See I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I really do think that nothing is ever perfect, take the concept of the pitch it’s basically saying, ‘Hmm what you’ve done is OK but these are the mistakes we see and this is what you should do to improve it’, there really is always room for improvement a perfectionist simply never sees anything as 100% its more something is 99% complete and that 1% is left being improved… a perfectionist will always say, ‘I can do this better’
Once arrived in the office I got myself a big bottle of water, I opened up ICAL and E-mails and I’m ready to be answering phones, passing on messages, writing up remittances and tweaking my project because as I said I think nothing can be ever perfect, it can be right but it can always manage improvements! ICAL shows that today shouldn’t be busy BUT it is Friday and in the media world it means finishing up deadlines.
Covering reception today consisted me of:
– Sending out remittances – I did the funniest thing with this today usually the accountant hands me the list of expenses going out with the invoices, most invoices have an E-mail address so that we can forward them their remittance. Each invoice I send a remittance to I stamp with a paid stamp and cross it off the expenses list. Sometimes invoices may not have an E-mail address but they’ll have a contact number so I put these invoices into a separate pile to go through once I have finished the rest. I then contacted the invoices without E-mail via telephone in order to be given an email where we can forward them their remittance, only problem is the first person I called was one of our freelancers in the office and she said to me, ‘I’m in the office, I’ll come over and speak to you now.’ I had no idea it was her as I knew her by her first name only, a bit of office banter is always fun…
– Plugging in the editors movements for next week
– Franking & Sending out the post
– Emptying the dishwasher and putting in any dirty plates lying around
– Handing out the parcel
– Counting competition entries
My morning was pretty calm as all I had to do were the remittances, then before I knew it I have 3 big jobs to finish by the end of the day…Ahhhh! It was slightly annoying as well as just to top it off the computer was being really slow… I’ll be honest too I have been having some panic attacks lately and getting the opportunity to cover reception again really does help my confidence. I remember the first time I answered the phone I was terrified as I thought to myself, ‘Do not mess this up, you are representing this company.’ I feel I have come such a long way since then but now I feel like I did the first time I did it…simply put I just need to get over myself and do it.
I’ve also finished tweaking project and spent an hour applying F.A.C.E (Font, Alignment, Consistency and Engagement) to finally be able to send a PDF format to the editors for some feedback.
The commercial manager asked me if I could update my placement clientele via File Maker Pro, I had to search for the company first to avoid duplicates in the system and if it wasn’t listed to then add new company, company sector, company website, phone address and in comments write which client magazine it was for and then add the following information name, tel, email & job title for the contacts company.
It’s finally home time :), even though its Flexi-Friday and I made the extra effort to get in early so that I could leave earlier due to being so tired all this week, it ended up back firing as I couldn’t finish on time due to having so much work to do.
I’m back in on Wednesday to finish inputting my placements clientele, so I will see you then…
Also posted in http://lifeisfunbeingme.wordpress.com/