Today is the first day of lent and this year I have decided to actually try and commit to the things I have given up this year, I’ve chosen to give up my alarm snoozes, diet coke, chocolate & cheese… my favourite things in the whole world! If you know me personally you would know that if it was possible I would actually live in a chocolate house, I think I rarely go a day without chocolate, I just cannot resist it! At my placement, for me personally it is impossible to go into work with the mindset to say, ‘I’m starting a diet and keeping to it!’ There are chocolate treats everywhere… Ahhh! Usually if its someone’s birthday or someone has something to celebrate they tend to bring in some treats, leave them in the kitchen and send an email round to say, ‘There are cake is in the kitchen, help yourself!’ How can you not resist?!
I’m ashamed to admit but I’ve cracked already 😦
Today has been crazy…Wow, it has literally been non-stop!
I collected the Special Delivery and Recorded post books from downstairs and made my way up to the office, once I got in I hung up my coat, tucked my bag under the desk and went straight to the kitchen to get myself a drink of water ready for when I’m answering calls. I gave the kitchen a quick tidy, filled the coffee jars, emptied and re-filled the dishwasher with dirty breakfast plates and went back to my desk to open up ICAL to see what to expect from the working day…
Today is going to be a long one… there is so much to do… Yay, I really do think I have become a slight workaholic! I have to prep two meetings, I actually quite enjoy having to do this, making sure everything is presentable, aligned and perfect! I also remembered that I forgot to give back one of the birthday cards back to the PA so that she could post it so that our birthday wishes would arrive on time. Luckily the PA remembered and managed to post it.
ICAL says to do a stationary order for the office and one of the editors asked me if I could order a year diary for them. I’m slightly nervous as I don’t know how to do this, I’ve never done it before…
I am bouncing off adrenaline today…
My reception tasks today were:
– Count competitions… Why do people enter them?! Being the one counting them, makes me not enter them anywhere just because I know how minuscule it is to be chosen as a winner there are just so many entries and because I know there will be someone like me also counting competitions. Once competitions were counted I updated the entries in the competition folder.
– Book meeting rooms
– Answer calls & pass on messages
– Hand birthday cards back to the PA
– Hand out & sign for packages
– Hand out post
– Greet visitors… however today I made a silly mistake whenever visitors come into the office the first thing I do is ask them if they would like a drink but today I gave them the wrong cup to drink from as opposed to getting the nice shiny newer glasses… presentation is key!
– Ring concierge again about a leak in one of the toilets
– Pass on any issues relating to magazine subscriptions to the relevant editor who is in charge of the magazine
– Clear out the boarding room
– Clean up the kitchen & fill up coffee jars again
AND FINALLY I CAN BREATHE…
The pace of the day has finally slowed down a bit and now have all afternoon to do some uni work, hopefully… fingers crossed!
– The PA asked me if I could sort through the paper left by the printer and send out an email asking everyone to collect what they have printed out otherwise it will have to go in the recycling. She also said to me, ‘feel free to listen to some music whilst doing it.’ I have currently been listening to this on repeat its amazing!!!
– The reminder for the office order came up and as I don’t know how to do it and the PA didn’t have time to show me she said to not worry about it as it can wait
– Empty and refill dishwasher
– Frank and send out post
– Food shop, this involves me making sure there are no essentials missing from the kitchen such as tissues, coffee, tea, dishwasher tabs etc.
– Bind some documents
– Fill the photocopier with paper, stock up the paper cupboard and email the editor in charge of ordering paper to order more.
Last but not least… I also got the chance to do some transcribing, something which I have never done before… I love doing new things at my placements it always makes me feel so positive, the piece of audio that I had to transcribe was 10 minutes long and in relation to mobile technology. For me it was very inspiring and interesting to listen too, as in some ways it was very similar to the talk I posted about and had some great information for my dissertation.
Finally its home time, I cannot wait to put my feet up & Nope I managed to get no uni work done 😦
Yawn… see you tomorrow!
Also posted in www.lifeisfunbeingme.wordpress.com